#onemorehokanson

#onemorehokanson

It was during our first adoption from Ethiopia that God grew a passion for orphans and orphan care. We are currently in the process of bringing home a 5 year old girl with special needs from China. We can't do it alone. Please consider becoming piece of the puzzle.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

What I Learned From Watching The Bachelor

I know it's crazy to, a) admit that you watch this show and b) to say you learned anything from it. But I have to share what I learned from watching last seasons couple Jake and Vienna talk about their break up on Monday night during The Bachelorette.

I think the thing that was most amazing to me was the fact that Vienna and I have a lot in common. I know that sounds crazy but go with me here for a minute. Here are the traits I saw demonstrated that I resemble:

1. Being right check
2. I state the symptoms but don't address the problem check
3. I am more concerned about being heard or understood than listening check
4. Showing disrespect check

Conviction, and I thought I was going to watch some TV and relax. Not this night. I was reminded of how accepted it is these days to treat the men in our lives, and men in general with disrespect. How normal it is to perpetrate bad behaviors in our relationships. It seems that it's everywhere TV, movies, books. Examples of women demonstrating these behaviors were far easier for me think of than I hoped it might be.

I was reminded, yet again, of how Jesus encourages me/all of us to go against the norm. And the thought came to me, Jesus does not ask me/all of us to do this so that we stand out. As I have at times in the past felt. He asks me/all of us to do this so that HE will be glorified. So that in my being able to admit that I am wrong, to address the problem, to listen or understand, to show respect, others will see HIM in me. My actions will give HIM glory. People who know me, well they know me and when they witness such different actions they know in of my own power I could not accomplish such things.

I forget that God will help me to live differently, I can't do it on my own. I far to often rely on Tracy power. Only HE can empower me. The key is HE can do this when I choose to allow HIM be in control. HMMMM control. That is another whole blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment