#onemorehokanson

#onemorehokanson

It was during our first adoption from Ethiopia that God grew a passion for orphans and orphan care. We are currently in the process of bringing home a 5 year old girl with special needs from China. We can't do it alone. Please consider becoming piece of the puzzle.

Monday, May 16, 2011

The View From Here


Adoptwaiting has caused me to view many things differently than before I began this journey. For instance, Monday has an entirely different meaning for me now than it use to. In the adoptwaiting world, Monday means the start of when you may get news about your particular situation. You could get news that your dossier being in route. You could get your referral. You could get a court date. You could get your call to travel to go and get your child. It could also be you need to re-do this form. No news today. Or it could be news that things are not progressing as hoped.

TGIF has an entirely different meaning to me as well. It, not only signifies the weekend, but it signifies the end of another week of waiting. That means I am one step closer to the next thing I am waiting for. 

I certainly will never view waiting the same way again. In some ways I have learned to wait better than I did prior to adoptwaiting. I don’t always think this but today made me think just maybe I have learned something. I had submitted a memo for my Director’s approval last week Wednesday. Today, I realized I had not received a response. I emailed them to see when I could expect to get a response. They came and spoke with me saying that they had not realized I was waiting for approval. I did not need to wait as long as I did to follow-up. Which is funny because I was just trying to be patient. I guess there are times you can be too patient. Which I am not going to lie, is a little bit funny to me and my husband, this side of adoptwaiting.

I don’t think I will ever view God’s sovereignty the same ever again.
Books upon books have been written on this subject. Good Christian people land on different sides of the fence when it comes to discussing what God’s sovereignty means. Clearly I am not trying to say I have the answer. I am saying that I have a different understanding of it than I did before.

In the simplest of terms, I think of God’s sovereignty as meaning all things are under God's rule and control, and that nothing happens without His direction or permission. I think any situation that puts you in a place of no control opens the door to think about who is in control.  While I know that God is control with all my heart, I still have moments where I somehow get confused and start thinking that maybe I can control things. Once I have that thought, I do various things in an attempt to gain control. Only to discover, I was not in control to begin with. 

It is ironic that I am in the middle of studying the book of Daniel. It would be hard, even for me, to miss the theme of God’s sovereignty in this book. It has been an excellent reminder to me daily that God is sovereign and He is in control. That can be easy to forget when I start to worry about when will we get a court date? Will we pass court? Will the MOWA write our letter? How long will we have to wait for ______? So even though I have those worries, and many more I have been so encouraged to be involved in s study that daily reminds me who is in control.

1 comment:

  1. OH MY TRACY!!! Did you enter my brain and post for me!!?? TOO Funny!! Obviously we are on the exact same page with this "adoptwaiting" process! I love your view of Friday, though...I'm not so positive about Fridays! Thank you for that insight!

    ReplyDelete