#onemorehokanson

#onemorehokanson

It was during our first adoption from Ethiopia that God grew a passion for orphans and orphan care. We are currently in the process of bringing home a 5 year old girl with special needs from China. We can't do it alone. Please consider becoming piece of the puzzle.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Race


I sometimes feel that adoptwaiting is like running a race. Right now I feel like we are in the last ¼ mile running up the last hill, just before the finish line. I can see the finish line from here. It’s close. But just like running in a race sometimes your tired, you get a cramp and you just want to stop.

But that’s crazy because you are near the end. You can’t quit now. But your body aches, more than usual. You’re out of breath. For some reason even though you have run this same distance, many times before. Today you just don’t think you can do it. I resonate with feeling like this.

Feelings are complicated. We need to be in control of our feelings not the other way around. Knowing and believing this truth does not make choosing it any easier.

I have spent much of my blog space contemplating feelings and God’s truth. That is the crazy thing about feelings they are not always theologically correct. I can know that God is control but still feel worried. This does not make these types of feelings wrong or bad.

I have spent much time mulling over the fact that someone can tell you all the kinds of truth regarding your situation. That does not always take away the feelings. They are your feelings. You need to feel them. However, feeling them, working through them and not letting them be in control of you that can be tricky. Telling your feelings the truth can be a complicated but necessary and difficult thing to do.

So even though I feel like I want to stop running, of course I am not going to quit the race. I may sit and catch my breath. Or I may even keep running. But either way I am going to keep on keeping on.

I have found a lot of encouragement from my Streams in the Desert devotional. One that I continue to take comfort in speaks to how we “don’t need to try to “be strong”, just be still and know He is God.

If you would like to read this devotion you click here

No comments:

Post a Comment